Woody Allen is calling cancel culture “silly” after being dogged by decades-old sex abuse allegations from his adopted daughter, Dylan Farrow.
The 87-year-old filmmaker made the statement Sunday in an interview with Variety at the Venice Film Festival, where he is promoting his new movie, “Coup de Chance.”
“I feel if you’re going to be canceled, this is the culture to be canceled by. I just find that all so silly,” Allen told the outlet, after the interviewer asked if he felt like he had been “canceled.”
“I don’t think about it,” he added. “I don’t know what it means to be canceled. I know that over the years everything has been the same for me. I make my movies. What has changed is the presentation of the films.”
He continued to explain that everything about his process is the same, from writing the script to shooting it — but the presentation has been the “big change.”
In 1992, Farrow, then 7, claimed that Allen had molested her.
The accusation came as Allen split from Mia Farrow amid revelations that Allen had an affair with Farrow’s then 22-year-old adopted daughter, Soon-Yi, whom he later married.
A Connecticut prosecutor decided after an investigation in 1993 not to charge Allen. New York child welfare investigators dropped their inquiry as well.
In 2017, Farrow penned an op-ed for the Los Angeles Times, questioning why the #MeToo movement had seemingly “spared” Allen.
Farrow, now 38, sat for her first TV interview in January 2018, with Gayle King for “CBS This Morning.”
“My reaction has always been the same,” Allen told Variety, in part, about the allegations. “The situation has been investigated by two people, two major bodies, not people, but two major investigative bodies.
“And both, after long detailed investigations, concluded there was no merit to these charges, that, you know, is exactly as I wrote in my book, ‘Apropos of Nothing.’ There was nothing to it.”
Allen’s new movie, his 50th feature film, is entirely in French.
While speaking with Variety, he suggested that he may be nearing retirement, and “Coup de Chance” may be one of his final projects.
While the filmmaker was met with some acclaim at the Venice Film Festival, including a lengthy standing ovation, per Rolling Stone, some were angered by his presence.
During the world premiere of “Coup de Chance” on Monday, protesters gathered near the red carpet before being escorted out by police, according to the Hollywood Reporter.
The group, which was noted to be around 20 people, reportedly shouted phrases like “No rape culture” and “The alpha male doesn’t exist.”
𝗖𝗿𝗲𝗱𝗶𝘁𝘀, 𝗖𝗼𝗽𝘆𝗿𝗶𝗴𝗵𝘁 & 𝗖𝗼𝘂𝗿𝘁𝗲𝘀𝘆: nypost.com
𝗙𝗼𝗿 𝗮𝗻𝘆 𝗰𝗼𝗺𝗽𝗹𝗮𝗶𝗻𝘁𝘀 𝗿𝗲𝗴𝗮𝗿𝗱𝗶𝗻𝗴 𝗗𝗠𝗖𝗔,
𝗣𝗹𝗲𝗮𝘀𝗲 𝘀𝗲𝗻𝗱 𝘂𝘀 𝗮𝗻 𝗲𝗺𝗮𝗶𝗹 𝗮𝘁 email@example.com